I’m not sure how long I spent hiding under the bus, it seemed like forever until the mob moved on, probably to the nearest town.

At one point I thought that one of the things had seen me, it came right up to the coach I was hiding under and started to sniff, nose held high in the air.

I swear my heart was beating so hard I thought it would hear me but it must have lost interest and moved on.

About an hour or so later, I slowly pulled myself out from under the bus making sure I didn’t make a sound, the sun was starting to set and I had no idea where I was, so I thought it best to stay put until the next day. I made my way round the coach door and climbed back on board.

I quietly called out “hello?” a few times hoping that someone had stayed on board, even if it was that snot nosed kid and his downtrodden mother, but the bus was empty. I used some coats and hand luggage to make a makeshift bed under some seats, at the back of the bus.

I figured that would be the safest place to stay until the morning.

Sleep was out of the question, even if I wanted to, every noise put me on edge.

You would think the countryside would be quiet at night, it’s not, its just as noisy as the city, but the countryside has a different kind of noise, the only thing that is the same is the cry of passing foxes, I swear when I heard my first county fox screaming somewhere out in the fields, I thought the mob had came back and had caught someone, any hope I had of getting some sleep was gone.

The sun started to rise at about 4.30 in the morning.

By that time, I had already looked through most of the hand luggage on the bus, I had figured that, I don’t know, with everything that had happened yesterday, things had changed, going through the bags that everyone had left wasn’t…
I had told myself that it was a matter of survival now.

After eating some of the snacks I had found I made my way to the driver’s cab, luckily the coach driver was in that much of a hurry the day before he had left the keys in the ignition, turning the key half way I turned on the radio hoping to find a local radio station that could tell me what was going on, but there was nothing, not even the emergency broadcast message.
I turned the key all the way to start up the coach, have to admit I was relieved when the engine started first time.

Looking round one last time for any of the other passengers I put the coach into gear and pushed hard on the accelerator, the bus lunged forward and stopped as the engine died.
I tried again to get the bus moving, all the while very conscious about the amount of noise I was making, part of me wanted to just get off the bus and run.

After about the 4th time the bus started and the engine hummed quietly, I took a deep breath and one last look for any of the other passengers before I put the bus into gear and pressed down on the accelerator.
This time the bus moved away gently.